Waupun Historical Society
22 S. Madison St., Waupun
Hours: 1:30 pm–4 pm Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays March–November
For information and admissions at other times call 920.324.7931 or Jim Laird at 920.324.3878
The Waupun Historical Society, located at 22 S. Madison Street, is housed in the former Carnegie Library. The building, with a cornerstone date of 1904, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. From 1910 – 1920, one of the basement rooms was used as a Museum of Waupun Pioneer Days. As the library expanded this museum was dismantled and went into storage.
The Waupun Historical Society was incorporated on May 28, 1957. Waupun built a new city library in the 1970’s and the Carnegie Library building was vacated. It was used as the Central Office for the school system for a brief time. The city leased the Carnegie Library to the Waupun Historical Society on October 9, 1971. The Historical Society moved into the building and adopted the name, Waupun Heritage Museum.
The museum houses a large collection of materials related to Clarence Addison Shaler, the prison, the Grange, Waupun’s Dutch Heritage, and families that have lived in Waupun. On the ground in front of the building is one of Mr. Shaler’s statues, “The Citadel.”
Free admission; however, donations are gratefully accepted.
314 Beaver Dam St.
Waupun, WI 53963-1840