Dodge County Museums

Home

[Ashippun] [Dodge Centre] [Dodge County] [Fox Lake] [Horicon] [Hustisford] [Kekoskee/Williamstown] [Lebanon]
[Lomira] [Lost Lake/Randolph] [Mayville] [Mayville Limestone] [Neosho/Rubicon] [Theresa] [Waupun]
 


Ashippun History Committee Museum
[Return]
Physical address: Ashippun town hall, W1266 Hwy O

Mailing address: Roger Johnson, W601 Lincoln Road, Oconomowoc, WI  53066-9569


Museum & research room open by appointment

920-474-3168
E-mail: 
farmstone@aol.com
 


 

This log house was built by Norwegian emigrants in 1845 and still stands in the township.  We meet the third Thursday of every month at 7:00 p.m.  Our museum features the Jaenicke collection of hand crafted farm & circus wagon miniatures; a farm tool shop; & many other local artifacts.  Our research files contain numerous local historical documents and over 1,000 local family histories.  A book on the history of the Town of Ashippun is available.

 

Dodge Centre Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: 187 E. Oak Grove Street, Juneau

Mailing address: N7031 State Hwy 26, Juneau, WI  53039-9614

Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (May thru October)
920-386-4915
E-mail: bernice_kuntz@att.net


 

The building was built in 1865 by the Methodists.  It was their church with an addition added in 1910 .  Services were held at the church until 1968.  At that time the Methodists merged with the Evangelical United Brethren.  The building was then sold to the city of Juneau, which used it for a library.  The museum took over the rental of the building in 1997.


Several photos from inside the Dodge Centre Museum.

For a larger image - click on a photo.
 

Dodge County Historical Society

[Return]


105 Park Avenue, Beaver Dam, WI 53916-2107


Open: Wednesday thru Saturday
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. year round.
Special tours can be arranged by appointment, call 920-887-1266
Contact Kurt Sampson, curator, at 414-405-4367 or e-mail him at: ksampson2@wi.rr.com
Website: http://www2.powercom.net/~dchs/Index.htm

 

 

 

The museum is located in the former Williams Free Library, founded in 1890 by John J. Williams, a prominent citizen of Beaver Dam.  The dedication of the building was held on July 15, 1891, with five thousand people attending. 

Three floors of historical artifacts and displays, including an authentic one-room school house, extensive military display, Victorian era furnishings and dress, early farm life display, and a "classy" 1902 Rambler.  The basement level, which opened in July of 2005, features a look back to "Old Beaver Dam," with emphasis on its industry and businesses.  Annual events at the museum include a Lake Days lawn party, Oktoberfest Day, Christmas tree trimming party for youngsters and an Open House in conjunction with Beaver Dam's Christmas parade.


 

Authentic one-room school.  Dedicated - May 2002.
Click on photo for larger image.

Photos from in and around the museum.
For a larger image - click on a photo.
 

Fox Lake Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: 211 W. Cordelia Street, Fox Lake
Mailing Address: PO Box 493, Fox Lake, WI 53933-0493

Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
 (June thru 1st Sunday of Oct)
920-296-0254
E-mail: frankdesigns@powerweb.net



 

The Fox Lake Historical Society is housed in the old 1884 Milwaukee Road Depot. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Some of the displays include Indian Artifacts, and a model of Fox Lake's unique railroad Loop & Junction.  Buildings featured, include a working blacksmith shop, Congregational Church, Sinclair Gas Station, and an early farm kitchen.

 


Horicon Historical Society

[Return]


Physical Address:
322 Winter Street, Horicon, WI 53032

 

Mailing Address: PO Box 65, Horicon, WI  53032-0065

Open 4th Sunday of the month 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
(May thru October)
Special tours can be arranged by appointment, 920-485-0483
E-mail: queenlahnie@sbcglobal.net



 

The museum is located in the former Satterlee Clark house.  It was built in the 1850's for the family of Mr. Clark, an attorney.  He was active in local, county, and state politics for most of his life.  The red bricks used to build the house came from the Chandler Brickyard; the first brickyard in Dodge County.  Two other buildings on the museum grounds are a one-room schoolhouse, and a garage which houses antique farm equipment.


Photos from in and around the museum.
For a larger image - click on a photo.


Hustisford Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: 134 N. Ridge Street, Hustisford
Mailing address: PO Box 44, Hustisford, WI  53034-0044

Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  (June thru August)

After Memorial Day ceremonies until 12 noon

Music in the park (June – August) 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of the month 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Founder John’s Day – 2nd Saturday of September.

Germanfest – the second Sunday in October.

 

To tour by appointment, call 920-349-3501 or 349-3302 or 349-3405

E-mail: grulke@charter.net



 

The museum is located at the north end of Hustisford's Memorial Park.  The John Hustis House was originally located at the southwest corner of the park.  After the death of Mr. Hustis the house was sold and moved to the country.  The house stood abandoned and in disrepair for several years and in 1971 the Greater Sinissippi Historical Society was organized.  Members of the newly formed organization purchased the home, a basement was built and in 1974 the house was moved to its present location.

 


Kekoskee/Williamstown Historical Society
[Return]

51A County Road Y, South, Mayville, WI  53050

Website: www.kwhsi.org

E-mail: info@kwhsi.org

 



 

Kekoskee/Williamstown Historical Society was founded in June, 2007.  At that time we acquired the historic Mayville train depot building.  We are presently working on renovating it for our museum.  A small addition was built onto the north side of the building and the roof has been replaced.  We have been busy fund raising to be able to continue the work of renovation.  We are hoping to open in the near future.  In the meantime the Mayville Limestone School Museum has graciously allowed us to exhibit some of our artifacts at their museum.

 

For information on our progress, call or e-mail Mary Hoffmann at 920-387-3139 or e-mail her at genmar@plbb.us.

 


Lebanon Historical Society
Old Town Hall & Museum
[Return]

Physical address: W4672 Ivy Street, Lebanon
Mailing Address: PO Box 23, Lebanon, WI  53047-0023

Open 1st Sunday of the month 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
(May thru October)
Special tours can be arranged by calling Ed Raether at 262-542-7872
E-mail: eraether@wi.rr.com

Website: www.townoflebanon.com
 


 

The Old Town Hall, located in Treckel Park.  It was restored and is now the Museum with artifacts displayed in cases, along with old photographs and clothing.  Historical items are always welcome.

 


Lomira Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: Sterr park, Pleasant Hill Avenue
Mailing address: 427 S. Water St.. Lomira, WI  53048-9581


Hours: sporadic
(Call for hours open)??

Phone: 920-948-0188

E-mail: kietzerj@yahoo.com

No picture available

 

The Silver Leaf School as it was previously known is located in Sterr Park.  The museum houses artifacts collected that pertain to the area, also a large number of Arimols, (high school annuals, Lomira spelled backwards) and many other records.  Since the new library opened the historical society has a room in the library, which houses family histories, cemetery and church records.  Many other records are available for viewing.

 


Lost Lake/Randolph Historical Society

[Return]

W11827 Concord Road, Randolph, WI  53956-9654

Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  (June thru September)
Special tours can be arranged by calling 920-326-3301
E-mail: retzlafarm@hotmail.com or bashynski@centurytel.net
 Website: http://lostlakerandolphhistory.org/



 

The museum is located in the former St. Mary's Church at Lost lake, which was built in 1908.  There are various exhibits, one of which was made by a member consisting of one-room country schools from the area with their individual histories.  There are displays of antique clothing, religious artifacts and cheese factory history.  An antique kitchen exhibit is a work in progress.

Annual events include a spring fund-raiser with entertainment, summer brat fry and flea market, which is held on the last Sunday in August, and a chili supper on the 2nd Saturday in November.


Photo of the one-room school exhibit in the museum.
For larger image - click on the photo.


Mayville Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: Corner of Bridge and German Street
Mailing address: PO Box 82, Mayville, WI  53050-0082

Open: 2nd & 4th Sundays of the month
1:30 p.m.. - 4:30 p.m. (May thru October)
Special tours can be arranged by calling 920-387-2420 or 387-5787
E-mail: barlarsen@att.net
Website: www.mayvillehistoricalsociety.org/



 

The Mayville Historical Society Museum is located in the old Hollenstein Carriage and Wagon Factory on the corner of Bridge and German Streets.  It houses several wagons, carriages, and sleighs made in the building along with early farm and related equipment.  The original Hollenstein House containing many Mayville artifacts is attached.  Also, on the grounds is the Brunke Cigar Factory, which also houses a Mayville Barber Shop, and the 1874 Mayville firehouse containing much of the original equipment used by the Mayville Fire department in the past.

 


Mayville Limestone School Museum
[Return]

Physical address: 215 N. Main Street, Mayville
Mailing Address: PO Box 102, Mayville, WI  53050-0102

Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  (May thru October)
Special tours can be arranged by calling 920-387-2593
E-mail: info@mlsm.org
Website: www.mlsm.org



 

A landmark since 1857, Mayville's historic White Limestone School served as a public school for 121 years, from 1857-1964 and 1967-1981.  The building has been listed on the National Registry of Historic Places since 1976.  There are three floors of exhibits to view.  Several of the exhibits includes: "Iron Country", which chronicles the history of iron mining and production in the city of Mayville and the surrounding area; "Edgar G. Mueller Photography Exhibit", which houses a large collection of photos and related items which capture the spirit of Mayville, its residents, and the nearby Horicon Marsh; other exhibits includes one-room school artifacts, Indian arrowhead artifacts, Rock River Baseball Hall of Fame, along with several other exhibits.  Visit our website for more info at: www.mlsm.org

Free Admission - Donations graciously accepted.

 

Neosho/Rubicon Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: 115 S. Schuyler Street
Mailing Address: PO Box 105, Neosho, WI 53059-0105

Open: 2nd & 4th Sundays of the month
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (April thru October)

Open: 2nd Sunday of the month
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (November thru March)
Special tours can be arranged by calling
262-224-0892
E-Mail: neoshorubiconhistoricalsociety@gmail.com




 

The museum is located in the Old Village Hall.  It was built in 1914 and has housed the museum since 1989.  Self guided tours give a glimpse of local history.  Visit the Blacksmith Shop, Bank, One-Price Store, Firehouse, and Neda Mine.  Walk down the "Old Plank Road" past a planted field and photos and artifacts of days past.  The Museum also houses a genealogical research library. 

 


Theresa Historical Society
[Return]

Physical address: 200 Block of S. Milwaukee Street
Mailing address:
P.O. Box 74, Theresa, WI 53091-0074

Open: Memorial Day, last Sunday of the month 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
 (June thru October)
 Special tours can be arranged by calling
920-488-2783 or 488-4784 or 488-2018

E-mail: mickipolster@charter.net

 



 

The museum is housed in the only remaining original home of Solomon Juneau.  A slide show of Theresa History is shown on scheduled open house days and for special tours if time permits.  Furnishings on display date back to the early 1900's plus articles from Josette and Solomon Juneau's household.  Dedicated as a memorial to Solomon Juneau, pioneer settler of our State of Wisconsin, and founder of the City of Milwaukee and the Village of Theresa.

Dedicated by Dodge County Women's Clubs in1938

Named Dodge County Bicentennial Home in 1976 

 


Waupun Historical Society
Waupun Heritage Museum
[Return]

Physical address:
22 S. Madison Street, Waupun
Mailing address:
314 Beaver Dam Street, Waupun, WI  53963-1840

Open: 1st & 3rd Sundays of the month 1:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
(March thru November)
For information and admissions at other times call 920-324-7931
or
Jim Laird at 920-324-3878
E-mail: waupunhistorical@powercom.net


 

The Waupun Historical Society, located at 22 S. Madison Street, is housed in the former Carnegie Library.  The building, with a cornerstone date of 1904, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  From 1910 - 1920, one of the basement rooms was used as a Museum of Waupun Pioneer Days.  As the library expanded this museum was dismantled and went into storage.

The Waupun Historical Society was incorporated on May 28, 1957.  Waupun built a new city library in the 1970's and the Carnegie Library building was vacated.  It was used as the Central Office for the school system for a brief time.  The city leased the Carnegie Library to the Waupun Historical Society on October 9, 1971.  The Historical Society moved into the building and adopted the name, Waupun Heritage Museum.

The museum houses a large collection of materials related to Clarence Addison Shaler, the prison, the Grange, Waupun's Dutch Heritage, and families that have lived in Waupun.  On the ground in front of the building is one of Mr. Shaler's statues, "The Citadel."

Free admission; however, donations are gratefully accepted.


Photos from in and around the museum.
For a larger image - click on a photo.